Connecting to a Windows VM via RDP
Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) with Network Level Authentication (NLA) is enabled for images of all versions and editions of the Windows operating system prepared for Yandex Cloud. Before connecting to a VM, make sure that NLA is enabled in your desktop settings. When the VM starts (its status is
RUNNING), you can connect to it using RDP.
Make sure the VM's security groups allow incoming TCP traffic to port 3389.
Security groups are at the Preview stage. If they aren't available in your network, all incoming and outgoing traffic will be allowed for the VM and no additional setup is required.
To connect using RDP, specify the public IP address or the FQDN of the VM. Access using FQDN is possible from another Yandex Cloud VM if it's connected to the same network. You can find out the IP address and FQDN in the management console. Go to the Network section on the virtual machine's page.
To connect to the VM:
- Click Start.
- In the search box, type Remote Desktop Connection and select the appropriate item.
- In the Remote Desktop Connection window, enter the public IP address of the VM to connect to in the Computer field.
- Click Connect.
- Specify the account settings:
- User name
- The password you set when creating the VM.
- User name
- Press OK.
It usually takes up to 6 minutes to start a VM and initialize Remote Desktop (RDP). In rare cases, loading may take much longer than the time specified. For example, when using:
- VMs with less than 100% guaranteed vCPU performance.
- VMs that generate a load that exceeds the boot disk's IOPS limit.
- Network HDD drives with small storage capacity.
- Install and run Microsoft Remote Desktop (free official RDP client for Mac).
- Press → Desktop.
- In the Add Desktop dialog enter the public IP address of the virtual machine to connect to in the field PC Name.
- In the User Account field select Add User Account.
- In the Add User Account dialog specify the account settings:
- User Name
- Password: The password that you set when creating the VM.
- User Name
- Press Save twice.
- Connect to the remote machine by double-clicking the connection you created in the main Microsoft Remote Desktop window.
Install Remmina (a free RDP client for Linux) using the commands:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:remmina-ppa-team/remmina-next
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install remmina remmina-plugin-rdp
Fill in the Profile block as follows:
- Name: a name for the connection.
- Protocol: RDP - Remote Desktop Protocol.
In the Basic tab specify the details for connection and authorization:
- Server: the public IP address of the virtual machine to connect to.
- User Name:
- Password: the password that you set when you created the virtual machine.
Connect to the remote machine by double-clicking the connection you created in the quick access connection list.