Backup to Yandex Object Storage via Duplicati
To set up backups in Object Storage via Duplicati:
- Before you start
- Create a bucket
- Create a service account
- Create a static access key
- Install Duplicati
- Configure Duplicati
- Test your backup
- Delete the created cloud resources
Before you start
Before using Yandex Object Storage, sign up for Yandex Cloud and create a billing account:
- Go to the management console. Then log in to Yandex Cloud or sign up if don't already have an account.
- On the billing page, make sure you linked a billing account, and it has the
TRIAL_ACTIVEstatus. If you don't have a billing account, create one.
If you have an active billing account, you can create or select a folder to place your bucket in. Go to the Yandex Cloud homepage and select or create a folder where you want to create a bucket. Learn more about the resource hierarchy in Yandex Cloud.
Required paid resources
The cost for backup and recovery includes:
- A fee for data storage (see Yandex Object Storage pricing).
- A fee for data operations (see Yandex Object Storage pricing).
- The cost of outgoing traffic from Yandex Cloud to the internet (see Yandex Object Storage pricing).
Create a bucket
To create a bucket for backups:
Go to the Yandex Cloud management console and select the folder where you want to perform the operations.
On the folder page, click Create resource and select Bucket.
In the Name field, enter a name for the bucket, like
The name must meet the following requirements:
- The length of the name must be from 3 to 63 characters.
- The name may contain lowercase Latin letters, numbers, hyphens, and periods.
- The first and last characters must be letters or numbers.
- Characters to the right and left of the period must be letters or numbers.
- The name must not look like an IP address (for example, 10.1.3.9).
Specify the maximum size of the bucket in GB.
Click Create bucket.
Create a service account
Create a service account with the
Create a static access key
Create static access keys. Save the ID and secret access key right away. You won't be able to access the private key parameters again after you close the window.
Download and install Duplicati.
To configure Duplicati to work with Object Storage:
- Run Duplicati. If required, set a password for your account.
- Select the Add backup menu item.
- Click Configure a new backup. Click Next.
- Enter the backup plan name:
Yandex Cloud. Enter the password and confirm if you chose to encrypt the backup. Click Next.
- In the Storage Type field, specify
- In the Server list, specify
Custom server URL. In the field below, enter the address
- In the Bucket name field, enter the name of your bucket:
- In the AWS Access ID field, specify the ID of the static access key.
- In the AWS Access Key field, enter the private key.
- Click Test connection to make sure the settings are correct. A window opens prompting you to add the username to the bucket name. Click No.
- After checking the settings, click Next.
- Select the files that you want to back up.
- Click Next.
- Set the backup schedule or deselect the Automatically run backups option to create backups manually. Click Next.
- Specify the volume size and set the storage duration. Click Save.
Test the backup procedure
To test a backup:
- Open the Home menu item.
- In the list of backup plans next to the
Yandex Cloudplan, click Run now.
- Open the management console.
- Go to the folder containing the bucket where your backups are stored.
- Open the Object Storage service.
- Open the
backupbucket and check whether all the necessary files have been copied.
How to delete created resources
To stop paying for file storage, delete the uploaded files.