Questions and answers about Object Storage
What is Yandex Object Storage?
Yandex Object Storage is a universal scalable solution for data storage. It is the perfect choice both for high-load services that require reliable and fast access to data, and for projects with minimal requirements for storage infrastructure.
What can I do with Yandex Object Storage?
With Object Storage, you can:
- Store your project files (website or server app) in Object Storage and make access to them either public or private. Files can be in any format.
- Store large archive data (up to 5 TB per file) and make them available only to those you allow.
- Enable collaboration with data inside a distributed organization.
- Provide access to your data from any place on Earth where internet access is available.
How do I get started with Yandex Object Storage?
To start working with Object Storage:
- Sign up for Yandex.Cloud.
- Create a folder.
At this step, you can already use Object Storage via the Yandex.Cloud management console. You can create and delete buckets, as well as upload objects to and download them from buckets.
- Get static keys to use the Object Storage HTTP API or available SDKs and apps.
What data formats can I store?
You can store data in any format. Yandex Object Storage saves data in its original form without any modification.
How can I leave feedback on Yandex Object Storage?
Use the feedback form on the support page in the management console.
How do I contact technical support?
You can contact technical support in the management console under Support.
How much data can I store?
How can I delete multiple objects at a time?
You can delete multiple objects via the Yandex.Cloud management console or the API using the deleteMultipleObjects method.
What does Yandex do with the data I store in Yandex Object Storage?
The data is saved in the form in which it was transmitted by the user.
Does Yandex use Object Storage to store its own data?
Yes. Object Storage is used in the Yandex infrastructure. Several Yandex services store their websites' static data in the storage.
What data consistency model does Yandex Object Storage use?
For overwritable (PUT) and removable (DELETE) objects, the strong consistency model is used.
What AWS S3 features are supported in Yandex Object Storage?
Object Storage supports:
- Authorization using static tokens.
- Some HTTP API methods. For a full list of supported methods, see the API reference.
Where is my data stored?
Data is stored in several geographically distributed data centers located in Russia.
How is my data protected in Yandex Object Storage?
Physical media is located in Yandex data centers, wich are highly secure facilities.
Data is stored in an encrypted format and none of those who have access to the physical media can read the data.
By default, the storage is accessed via HTTPS.
How do you guarantee the performance of Yandex Object Storage?
Object Storage has internal SLAs and SLOs that guarantee a specific speed of sending data to the customer, which, among other things, depend on the storage class.
The Object Storage response time depends on multiple factors:
- Client-side performance (network speed, CPU load, or disk subsystem load).
- The speed of trunk connections, connections between data centers, or client-server connections.
- Performance of Object Storage itself.
This is why we can't specify a particular response time value. However, we do not consider a sharp increase in response time or a marked decrease in the speed of sending data to be the norm, and keep working to improve the technical characteristics of Object Storage.
Does the service meet the requirements under Federal Law No. 152-FZ
On personal data?
Yes, you can read the full security audit conclusion.
Can I get logs of my operations with services?
Yes, you can request log records about your resources from Yandex.Cloud services. For more information, see Data requests.